Wednesday, March 18, 2015

What I Learned From an Evening With Tavi Gevinson



Yesterday I had the opportunity to listen to Tavi Gevinson speak. Although, I am not going to lie I did not know what to expect or what type of topics she would cover. I didn’t quite look up a lot of information about the presentation. To my surprise I found her speech to be quite comforting and personal, and not a speech on how to market yourself at a young age.

Who Is Tavi Gevinson?

Now, you might be wondering who is Tavi Gevinson? She is a writer, magazine editor, and actress who manages her magazine The Style Rookie. One more thing, she is also eighteen years old. Isn’t that impressive?

About Her Speech

One of the things Tavi spoke about was the amount of pressure the new youth of today faces when growing up.  She expressed that there is pressure to be original, which creates stress to stand out, but she also believes that its okay to fit in with what everyone else says. This really spoke to me, because as I write for this blog I put a lot effort to make it different, to make it stand out.

What I learned

What I learned from Tavi is that the effort to be different should never feel pressured, and that I that I should just write what I know and what I believe in. This is a different and more positive point of view, than trying to be different from everyone else every time. It’s  very comforting.


Tavi Gevinson’s talk was hosted by the WUD Distinguished Lecture Series Committee

1 comment:

  1. I wish I was there to see her. No kidding. I continually think "what can I do that makes me stand out and be different?" It takes a lot of energy and it is frustrating. I am a person who loves when ideas come organically and lately I feel like I have been forcing myself to make something, just something--anything, that seems remotely different from the others. But that isn't natural. Ugh I wish I was there to see her speak!

    ReplyDelete